Wednesday, November 6, 2013

My boys favorite breakfast!

I don't have much time for this post but I make this porridge about twice a week.  My boys eat bowls of it.

The recipe is from my friend Fateh.  I first tried it at a kundalini yoga retreat and it became a favorite for my hubby and I immediately.  Luckily my kids just love it because quinoa is great for protein as is tahini.  Tahini is also a great source of calcium and omegas.

Quinoa Porridge:

1 1/2 cups quinoa
1 1/2 cups oats
9 cups water

Soak quinoa in hot water for at least 10 minutes (or overnight with the oats).  Then skim off the top bits and drain the rest.
Bring water to a boil.
Add quinoa and oats.
Watch it carefully as it comes back up to a boil.  It can boil over so easy so turn it down to medium quickly when it does.
Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.

It stores great and makes enough for just over two helpings for my family.  I just heat it up with all the toppings except of course the fresh fruit, yogurt and maple syrup.  Especially not the maple syrup, you gotta drizzle that on top so you make sure you get enough maple syrup.

Toppings:
Really anything you want but here's a couple of my favorite combinations:

Fall/Winter:
Almond Milk
Applesauce
Raisins
Cinnamon
Tahini
Maple Syrup

Spring/Summer:
Almond Milk
Cinnamon
Tahini
Maple Syrup
Fresh Fruit
Yogurt

Enjoy a pot on a cold morning or a hot morning with some fresh seasonal fruit!

No comments: