Tuesday, November 5, 2013

TOFU HACK! (The secret to tofu)

I hated tofu at one time.  I thought it was tasteless and yet a weird taste and what was with the crumbly texture?  This was until I found the trick to tofu.

I wish I could remember what website it was off of.  I'm pretty sure it was "Vegan Dad".  I was looking for something to BBQ.  I was craving BBQ.  I also used to hate BBQ but I'm pretty sure that was the meat part because it turns out I FREAKIN' love BBQ tofu!

So I found this recipe and the guy said the secret to tofu is that you need to freeze it in the marinade overnight before you need it.  It seems to make the tofu more willing to absorb flavor.  It's almost like it makes it more porous or something.  I wish I could explain the science to you about it but that's really more my husband's territory, I just know it works.

So I feel the need to share it with everyone because if it's one thing I've heard when people talk about tofu is that it tastes like nothing.  So I'm here to tell you folks it doesn't have to.

In honor of non-tasteless tofu, I'm sharing my three favorite tofu recipes!

BBQ Tofu (the one that started it all):

2 pkgs of tofu

Marinade:
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
1/2 chopped onion
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
tbsp butter
1 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
couple drops of hot sauce
3/4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (vegetarian of course)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Freeze overnight and fry or bake.


Lemon Tofu:

1 pkg tofu

Marinade:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice

Freeze overnight and fry or bake.


Sweet Sesame Tofu:

1 pkg tofu

Marinade:
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp soy sauce


So there you go!  Now go and tofu on!



No comments: