Monday, February 11, 2008

Yay! Cookbooks!

Ok small correction for the last post. The refried beans I usually use are Amy's not Annie's or Eden Organics not Simply Organic, yah I know that one was way off. Sorry about that!

So I got my two new cookbooks and what recipe do I make first? One off someone's blog. Credit due to Domestic Affair and her red lentil hummus.

http://domesticaffair.ca/

I decided to make this since chick pea hummus tends to give me some digestive issues. My lentil hummus was very thin though, not sure what I did wrong. Once the lentil mixture was done I tried it and decided I would eat simply that with no other additives... mmm. But it was still good, unfortunately still gave me some digestive problems...maybe hummus and I were not made for each other like I thought we were :(

Ok I did spend a lengthy amount of time going through my books this weekend though. Funny story actually. On friday when I knew my books would arrive, I got a call on my cell at work. Our building buzzer phones our cell when someone rings it so it was the lady with my books. I told her to wait and I'd phone my husband to go down and meet her. I phone him and he doesn't answer. So I wait like 15 grueling, feeling awful minutes for her to phone back saying... helllloooo? And I tell her to just leave a slip. So I get the slip and we go to the post office that night (despite the fact that it says pick up tomorrow after 1:00). So I wait in line like 15 minutes and by the time I get to the front I decide to play dumb about the 1:00 thing, at first I thought about leaving and coming back but after investing all that time.. you know. So the lady rifles through all the boxes after giving me a hard time that it's supposed to be tomorrow and I make everyone in the line wait just to get my precious vegan cookbooks. Then she's like and ACTUALLY because it's friday it should be after 1:00 on MONDAY. Then I was like man I'm glad I lied, lol. So I have my babies finally. Here are some I want to make, something for you to look forward to. (BTW if any of you (assuming anyone actually reads my blog) have made any of these, please give me the review!)

Vegan with a Vengeance:
Banana Split Pudding Brownies
Tofu Scramble
Chocolate Chip Scones
Carrot-Raisin Muffins
Spanakopita
Falafel!!!
Green Thai Curry
Spanish Omelet with Saffron, Roasted Red Pepper, & Almond Sauce
Lemon Gem Cupcakes

Veganomicon:
Spicy Tempeh Nori Rolls
Tofu Florentine
Chickpeas Romesco
Marinated Asian Tofu
Acorn Squash, Pear and Adzuki Soup with Sauteed Shiitakes
Potato and Kale Enchiladas with Roasted Chile Sauce
Mac Daddy
Curried Udon Noodle Stirfry
Fresh Rosemary Focaccia
Fudgy Wudgy Blueberry Brownies

Ok if your mouth is not watering you are a robot. Ok, I'm done now, any thoughts, feelings, emotions on what to make first? I'm thinking the banana/fudge brownies for sure, maybe a curry... Falafel... and I was so excited to see a Romesco with chickpeas, I love the type of sauce and my mom used to make it on chicken and it was one of the few times I enjoyed meat a lot so I figured damn it'll be good with chickpeas. Alright that is enough! I need to go finish eating some dinner! There is salivating happening. *MWAH*

3 comments:

Catie said...

dude, since when are you guys vegan - for heaven's sake I didn't even know you were vegetarian! I have only read this post but I will go back to read your earlier posts. Fun stuff & take care

Catie said...

Okay, well now I've read all you've written and you are on my to-read list - yae! but I am wondering why you went vegan. I couldn't be vegan or vegetarian right now because I don't have the urge to be - and I think if I don't have the will or want then it would be very hard (or very easy to fall off the wagon...). We find it difficult to eat healthy even now because Cory doesn't cook much (and he is still at the point that he asks me if the pasta is done - every time...) and I have grad school... So why the change? And I should get the morrocan vegetable recipe from my mom and pass it on to you - I love it and off the top of my head I can't think of anything non vegan in it.

Shelly said...

We have been vegetarian for over 6 months and vegan just for about a month. I've always wanted to be vegetarian and one day I realized I wasn't a picky eater anymore and that there was nothing stopping me. Then in a pursuit to try and help my arthritis and overall health (as well as cruelty to animal issues) I decided to become vegan. Actually Justin pushed more to be vegan.