Monday, January 21, 2008

A packer fan in India

So yesterday was technically my first day as a vegan. It was also the NFC playoffs. For those of you not as big of a fan as me, NFC is a conference in football (NFL to be exact). The winner goes to the Superbowl to face the AFC champ. So my favorite team, the Green Bay Packers were facing the New York Giants yesterday (to save later heartache in the re-telling, they did not win, I cried, but it's over and we move on). I was watching the game and about a minute in my husband finds a food processor on craig's list. A kitchenaid to be exact for a very cheap price. He calls up the guy and wants to go get it this moment. I sigh, pout, complain for a moment and then realize I can listen to the game on the radio.

So we go get it and find ourselves just off Commercial Drive in Vancouver. I remember this is near a restaurant called Sweet Cherubim which I tried at the 2007 Taste of Health which is a fantastic vegetarian event. If you have never been it is amazing!! Last year it was at the end of September, so mark it on your calendars, you won't be sorry. Anyways, back to the topic... so I figure what a great opportunity to visit this restaurant that had such amazing food. We live in the 'burbs so don't make it to the downtown Vancouver area much. So I listen to my packers who are up by 3 points and figure it'll be ok to leave them for a few minutes (*sigh oh sigh). We go into the restaurant and it's packed which I think is probably normal. As we are waiting in line I take off my jacket realizing I am wearing my Brett Favre jersey. I felt uncomfortable all of a sudden. I looked around at the way everyone else was dressed, very hippy, boho, recycled fabrics, organic cotton, thrift store assortment. No offense to those who wear this type, I do not mean this in offense, I truly do think this style looks amazing on some and as for the others their cause is noble in most cases. I just felt a little uncomfortable, like everyone was staring at me and thinking... she doesn't belong here. I thought about it for a second longer and realized I didn't care and it was probably all in my head anyway. That's what I love about vegetarians and vegans and all socially conscious people in general, they are so non-judgmental. You can have many interests, fashion types, etc. but you all have your weaknesses and you accept that. It's because they constantly challenge themselves to find a better way to do things. You tell people you are vegetarian or vegan or that you tried chick pea salad and they go ewww... or what do you eat, or I could never give up meat/cheese/steak etc. That's the problem with most people, attitude, if you say you could never do it you sure won't. Very close minded people in this age. Frustrating really.

So anyway we had a couple vegan samosas, some carrot corn soup, lentil dhal and brown rice, and a carob pecan cookie (Amazing!!!) and I felt right at home, even in my jersey. Horray for people!

No comments: